My Journey to Minimize Chemicals

I have been on a JOURNEY so far this year to phase out my "icky" products that I use everyday into more all natural less harmful/chemical products. I wanted to put pictures on of my products that I have been using and what I have replaced them with. I also included my products I haven’t replaced. Let me know if you have any suggestions! Some that I replaced I don't love, so if you have a product that you do love please share! I know I have a long way to go but I am happy with the progress I have made so far and look forward to switching over my makeup, cleaning products and food products next. This is a journey.

*I will say the one thing that has been tough is how expensive these products are compared to regular cheaper high in chemical products. I’ve decided to pay a little more for quality products, but if anyone has favorites that are more affordable, let me know!

** I included the Think Dirty scores on here. They rate products from 1 to 10. 1 being the cleanest and 10 being the dirtiest.

 0-3 product does not have any ingredients which have a documented potential negative health impact, 4-7 products have a potential for moderate negative long term health impacts, 8-10 products have potential serious negative long term health effects.

I know there is a little controversy with this app but I have found it to be the best one for listing ingredients and having the most product information.

 BEFORE

Pantene Pro-V Shampoo and Conditioner
Think Dirty Score shampoo: 8/10
Think Dirty score conditioner: 8/10
Cost: $3.99 for 12.6 fl oz (target)
Bad ingredients: fragrance, methychloroisothiasolinone, methylisothiazolinone
Thoughts: I really love my shampoo and conditioner. Leaves my hair so smooth. But after looking at the ingredients and after I ran out knew it was time to try something healthier for my hair. 

AFTER

Plaine Products Shampoo and Conditioner
Think Dirty Score shampoo: 0/10
Think Dirty score conditioner 0/10
Cost: $30 for 16 fl oz (Amazon)
Bad ingredients: none
Good stuff: non-GMO, paraben free, no phthalates, BPA free, cruelty free, 100% transparent with ingredients. 
Thoughts: I have used this shampoo/conditioner for about 2 months now. Leaves my hair less tangled. It does have a very strong mint smell when you use it but the smell doesn’t stay strong after rinsing it. I will say the first 2-3 times I used it it made my hair feel drier, but now that my hair has adjusted (And I’ve started using coconut oil on it) I haven’t had any issues! And I enjoy knowing that I am not putting chemicals on my hair. I also love the minimal waste of this product. When you buy the next bottles they send you a shipping receipt and you send the used ones back, they are washed and used again. NO WASTE!! Yay!

BEFORE


Gold Bond Ultimate Healing 
Think Dirty score: 9/10
Cost: $7.79 for 14oz (target)
Bad ingredients: propylparaben, fragrance, diazolidinyk urea, methylparaben, petrolatum
Thoughts: I am really going to miss this one. It does a really good job of keeping my skin hydrated especially during the winter. But with those ingredients I just can’t... 

AFTER


Luxe Lotion
Think Dirty score: 0/10
Cost: $36.94 for 8.5 oz (Amazon)
Bad ingredients: none
Good stuff:  non-GMO, vegan, cruelty free, paraben free, not tested on animals, no phthalates, 100% disclosure 
Thoughts: I like the feel of this one, the grapefruit is a little too strong for me. And this one is so expensive for the amount you get. I’m going to use this one and then probably try a different product after this one... Also like that this one is in glass instead of plastic! 
BEFORE


Not Your Mothers-- Clean Freak Dry Shampoo (tinted) 
Think dirty score: 3/10 (for similar 'Clean Freak Dry Shampoo'- they didn’t have the exact one) 
Cost: 6.99 (target) 
Bad ingredients: none
Thoughts: I really like this one. And honestly it’s not terrible for your hair. As long as it doesn’t have fragrance (some of the 'not your mothers' do).... I am happy I am going to something that is non aerosol and is more natural but I wouldn’t be opposed to going back if I needed to. 

AFTER

Primary Pure Dark Locks
Think dirty score: 0/10
Cost: 16.00 for 1oz from their website
Bad ingredients: none
Thoughts: if you have ever used dry shampoo that you sprinkle, this is exactly that. I think it works well, maybe not quite as well as the Not Your Mother’s but I am very happy with my choice. Since I am working on hair training I only use this 1x a week and it works well! 

BEFORE

Dove Body Wash
Think Dirty Score: 8/10
Cost: $5.99 for 22 fl oz (target)
Bad ingredients: parfum, sodium laureth sulfate
Thoughts: Don't really love this product. It was just cheap and smelled good. Not sad to get rid of this product with parfum in it (that could literally contain anything!) 

AFTER
Plaine Products Body Wash
Think Dirty Score: 1/10 (for the mint body wash-- this is a new scent and hasn't been listed yet!)
Cost: $30 for 22ml (amazon)
Bad ingredients: Chamomile
Thoughts: Love this new scent. I want to put the ingredients into Think Dirty and if it is the same for the shampoo and conditioner I will be switching to this scent from the mint). And you can return this container when they send you a replacement! Zero waste, YAY! 

BEFORE

Paradontax Toothpaste
Think Dirty Score: not on the app
Cost: 
Bad ingredients: ??
Thoughts: I got this because I had some bleeding gums. I stopped using this because my gums are getting better! Now able to switch to an all natural product. 

AFTER

Wondermint Toothpaste
Think Dirty Score: 0/10
Cost: 2 pack for 9.99
Bad ingredients: none
Thoughts: This works as well as any toothpaste I have had. Highly recommend! 

And for whitening...
Active Wow 24K White
Think Dirty Score: none
Cost: $14.99 (amazon)
Bad ingredients: ??
Thoughts: This was recommended by an Instagram account @alittlelesstoxic. I would like to put the ingredients into Think Dirty and see what they say! 

BEFORE


Big Sexy Hair Hairspray
Think Dirty Score: 8/10
Cost: 16.99 (target)
Bad ingredients: Octylmethoxycinnamate, Fragrance, Cyclomethicone
Thoughts: This is one of the things I am going to miss! I do love my hairspray! 

AFTER


BWC  (Beauty without Cruelty) Hairspray
Think Dirty Score: 3/10
Cost: $9.34
Bad ingredients: none
Thoughts: I've used this twice when I curled my hair and honestly it weighed it down a little bit and I didn't think it held the curls very well. I think I will be on the lookout for a good all natural hairspray. 

BEFORE
Skin Therapy Oil
Think Dirty Score: 8/10
Cost: 8.99 (Amazon)
Bad ingredients: Parfum
Thoughts: I love this! Just wish they didn't have the Parfum (fragrance) in it. Everything else in this product is healthy. All I really use it for is as a makeup cleanser so I am happy to replace it with 100% oil that is all natural and healthier! 

AFTER
Sweet Almond Oil
Think Dirty Score: 3/10
Cost: 14.95
Bad ingredients: none
Thoughts: I am waiting for this one in the mail! 

BEFORE
Whole Blends Smoothing Oil
Think Dirty Score: 8/10
Cost: 5.47 (walmart)
Bad ingredients: parfum, dimethiconol
Thoughts: I liked this for smoothing out the fly aways in my hair and putting on my ends when they got dried out. Honestly everything else in there is good! I just wish they didn't have that parfum (fragrance) in there. I am happy to switch to 100% oil that I know doesn't have anything added to it. 


AFTER

Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil
Think Dirty Score: 0/10
Cost: 13.22 (amazon)
Bad ingredients: none
Thoughts: This works well. I need less of it to hydrate my ends and I can use it for a lot of other things as well. Multipurpose oil in my book! Excellent replacement item. 

Other things I added to my regimen: 
The spiky things on my brush were literally falling off... I had that hairbrush since high school and it was my favorite. So instead of investing in a plastic hairbrush I decided to buy a set of Sandalwood combs. One wide tooth and one fine tooth. 
Cost: $17.99 on amazon for the pack of 2
*Also as soon as my plastic toothbrush goes, I plan on replacing with a bamboo toothbrush also!


Also, I usually just shave with my body wash but since my new body wash is a little on the expensive side I wanted to find something that was cheaper and also not harmful to my skin with chemicals. Here is what I found :) It’s basically a thick cream you use to shave. Doesn’t smell like anything I think works better than using body wash. 

Kiss My Face Moisture Shave Cream
Think Dirty Score: 3/10
Cost: 17.42 for a 2 pack (Amazon)
Bad ingredients: none


OTHER PRODUCTS I NEED HELP WITH!
Let me know if you have any suggestions. As I use these up (I don’t want to waste) I am going to continue replacing them with all natural products! Let me know if you have any suggestions! 

Tresemme Heat Protectant
Think Dirty Score: 8/10
Cost: 4.99 (target)
Bad ingredients: parfum, fragrance, dmdm hydantoin, PEF12 Dimethicone, PVP


Purity Face Moisturizer
Think Dirty Score: 8/10
Cost: 25.00 from Philosophy
Bad ingredients: Parfum, BHT, DIS-PEG-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, Phenoxyethanol, PEF-100 Stearate, PEG-8
Thoughts: I have really loved this as a facial moisturizer but I think it is time to get less toxic. Let me know what your suggestions are! 

Comments

Popular Posts