My traumatic.. yet oddly exciting day

5/21/14 @ 12:37pm
Well I am home for lunch and just needed to blog about something that might be gross to you but I felt that it needed to be shared. About 1 day ago I started to notice what I thought was a huge zit on my chin. Then it kept getting bigger and bigger and kind of started to get nasty. Then last night I put Neosporin and a band-aid on it and it didn't really help. When I talked to B.Weave this morning she gave me some anti-fungal cream and that has helped a lot. It is a suspected case of Hand-Foot-and-Mouth disease/infantigo that a lot of the kids have at the Haven. Its not a huge deal, there are just a lot of sores that break out around the mouth and sometimes headaches and a low grade fever can accompany.  I haven't had any of those symptoms and only have one sore so I hope that it doesn't get any worse but there it is. I also have some muscle soreness under my chin. I will post a picture of it. So beware of my next post of pictures ;)

It seems every time I go on a mission trip I come back with a weird skin rash. I came back from Mexico with ring worm, and came back from Honduras with a skin rash all over my legs and now this. Oh well I have come, and I will return and all will be well! 

**Addendum at 1:53pm**
I have now spoken to Dr. Mark whom I consulted over FaceTime. He doesn't think its HFM disease because it is a viral disease and I don't present with any of the other symptoms such as rashes/ulcers on my hands or in my mouth. He said that it probably a bacterial infection and he said that the soreness of the muscles under my chin is probably due to the infection affecting my lymph nodes. So don't worry I am going to live ;) it was touch and go there for a while. It does look like impetigo (which might have been what I heard as infantigo) which just means a skin infection. So this is good and treatable. I just scrubbed it down and put Neosporin and an anti fungal cream and I am good to go! I will keep you updated on the face situation! 

5/21/14 @ 5:50pm
This morning we saw a snake! We thought that it was dead because it wasn't moving so of course we took a picture. But when we came back it was gone, so we are assuming it was alive. :) It had a diamond head so I am assuming that it was/is poisonous. At the beginning we had kids from haven 3 and played with them on the playground participating in language enrichment therapy. After that I had Maureen aka BBBBB (Beep-Beep-Beepity-Beep-Beep). As I said before she is getting ready for starting school next year. She knows how to say all of her colors in English but does not differentiate the right color. So that's what we are working on right now. Then before lunch we sang nursery rhymes with the kids on the porch of Haven 1. When we got back from lunch we played with Haven 3 kids on the boondoos. And then I had individual therapy with Agnes who is affectionately called Aggie. She is a sweet little girl who sits and observes and smiles. She is probably about 8ish months so we are working on just enhancing oral output and maybe some rolling exercises.  

Update on the kids from ACU: I think I maybe gave their wrong names. We have a married couple that is staying in our house, their names are Chelsey and Russell, she is in graduate school and he is an undergrad. Then Ainsley is staying in the room down the hall. And then their supervisor is Dr. Bender who is the chair of the CSD department at ACU and is a supervisor here as well. 

For lunch we had fried chicken and potatoes that were delicious and for dinner we had sloppy joes and beans. There is always something yummy to eat!

@7:33pm
We just had "Caring and Sharing" time with the entire group in our living room. B.Weave talked to us about the reality of losing a baby while we are here at the Haven or when we get back hearing about one of the babies that we love so much passing away. It was really hard to hear but she shared her experiences with death while she has been coming to the Haven. It seems like it will be so hard, but of course I can't imagine it. It actually hurts to just think about it. She ended with the most positive note that all of the babies are so so healthy and that the Haven children as a whole are the healthiest that she has seen them. They are all doing marvelous and that, of course, makes my heart happy. 

We are now having some downtime and then we are going to have a meeting Webster. He is going to direct our "chorus." We are going to sing:

"Said I wasn't going to tell anybody 
but I couldn't keep it to myself. 
No I, couldn't keep it to myself. 
Said I wasn't going to tell anybody 
but I couldn't keep it to myself.
What The Lord has done for me. 
You ought'a been there, when he saved my soul, 
ought'a been there when He wrote my name on the roll. 
I'll keep talking, I'll keep singing, and I'll keep shouting 
what The Lord has done for me"

Comments

  1. Love reading your updates and praying for the health of those babies!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts