The Perils of Traveling

As you know there are so many benefits of traveling.. but sometimes there are perils. And when there are perils they are usually large. VERY LARGE! As you know, about 4 months ago I decided to start traveling. I had to stay with my current job until the end of my contract so I took a contract that was supposed to start today. Moved from Ohio to Boston, MA and unpacked all of my things (THANKFULLY DIDN'T SIGN A LEASE), bought the uniform for this job (I didn't have khakis and a polo because, well frankly, they are ugly ;)) and was all prepped for this job. I made the 50 minute commute this morning leaving extra early because well.. it's Boston. I walked into the facility a good 20 minutes early, because 15 minutes early is on time (thanks D-Dad for that wisdom that has carried true throughout my life) and looked for the rehab gym. I reported to the rehab director who just gave me a blank stare. Then said... "Oh did they not tell you, we hired someone permanently 2 weeks ago."  She was of course apologetic (and very nice) but there is nothing to do. They don't need a speech therapist.

So here I am at 9:00 on a Monday in a McDonalds parking lot (because right now traffic to get back into Boston is crazy town) and typing this blog. Waiting to see what is going to happen...

Lessons learned:
1. Get the contact of the rehab director at the place you are going to start. Email them before you move, just to make sure they still need you. Don't rely on third parties to communicate effectively.
2. Make sure you have a company that reimburses for this (TBD if mine does.. )
3. Always have back up recruiters to look for jobs quickly if a job falls through (I do and they are)
4. Join the FB group Traveling Therapists-- they have been a wealth of information so far, but now they are also such a support system. Put this on at 7:45 and by 9:00 have had MULTIPLE people messaging me, giving me suggestions, and encouraging me. Couldn't do it without you all!

Also, this is why I wanted to start traveling. For God to work through me, and teach me to rely on him. Well he is teaching me. And I am loving and hating it all at the same time. I pray for a peace that passes all understanding. And for me to bring HIM glory in all that I DO!

I am so blessed. If this is the worst things that happens to me this week I count it in my blessings.


Comments

Popular Posts