The Quarantine of Co-Vid

I am writing to you from a small apartment I am renting outside of Boston, MA. I was living with my aunt during this assignment, but with the virus threatening everyone's safety things needed to change. I found a short term rental not far from work about 2 weeks ago so that I could finish my assignment without worrying about infecting other family members. I now have two more weeks of my assignment.

Two more weeks until I can travel back to Ohio to be with my family. We talk everyday on the phone, not that we didn't used to but now it's more often, more urgent, and there is more to discuss. Most of my immediate family is still working, Dad mostly at home doing telehealth visits as a family physician, my brother, Ryan, is working full-time at a lab in Tennessee, Jared is working full-time at FedEx and Brent is working part-time rotating with other doctors to cover emergency eye care at an ophthalmology practice. We are all worried about each other and we are also worried about others. Baby Aebi that is due in 6 weeks and his pregnant mama. My Nana and D-Dad who have been sheltered at home since this virus started. The 120+ elderly people who live in the nursing home that I am working at. Those are some of the people that we worry about.

There are also the situations we worry about. Will we catch the virus while we are out shopping getting our weekly supplies? Will we bring it back to the people we love without knowing? Will there be enough supplies to keep everyone safe when the time comes? What will happen if I am infected or someone at work is infected?

Our lives are full of worry. Not that they weren't before, but what I worried about then seems so trivial. Paying off loans a couple months earlier. Losing those last 10 lbs of Christmas weight (don't worry I've put that back on with Quarantine weight ;)). But there is still a light shining. There are restaurants that are donating food to the homeless in downtown cities. The stories of the heroic men and women working the front lines in the hospitals. The churches and community support centers that are feeding the children that would normally rely on meals from school to not go hungry. The people who are donating money to help those without work. These are the stories that matter. These are the stories that give me hope and remind me that we will get through this.

There are tough times ahead. I have a feeling that only a few places in the U.S. have seen the worst, but for most of rural America it is still coming. I hold on to the One that gives me hope. The one that comforts in these times when comfort seems so far away. The one that blesses us all with the desire to give back, to help our fellow human and show the love of Jesus. I pray we all find a way to get "out" of the quarantine mindset and help someone. If you don't leave the house, donate money to a great cause. If you don't have money, see if there is something you can do at home/donate from your home. Check in virtually on someone in your neighborhood that might be feeling lonely. Send a stressed out mom (who now has no childcare) a present in the mail. If you need help, reach out. We all need positivity right now, and it is there if you look.

Once you look out from your own anxiety and look for a cause you will see the difference that it makes. ALL THE DIFFERENCE.

Stay safe. Pray often. Love others. Be the difference.

Comments

Popular Posts